ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS BEGINNING JANUARY 11, 2016 AT 9:00 AM, PLEASE VISIT: Housing Opportunities/Applications TO APPLY.
Did You Know?
- SHA was recently voted as the Most Outstanding Housing Agency in FL by our 85 in-state peers.
- SHA was once again designated as High Performer by HUD for both Public Housing (97%) and Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) (100%).
- SHA is utilizing the two-generation approach to propel and empower our families, with an intense focus on early childhood learning aligned with the Campaign for Grade Level Reading.
- SHA has recently housed 110 homeless veterans in our community through the VASH Program.
- Our non-profit (SHFC) manages 57 affordable apartments and sponsors innovative programs in partnership with Sarasota Police to foster positive relationships between police and our residents, such as Shop with a Cop and Book ‘Em – Cops & Kids Kids Literacy Event (book giveaway).
- Over 675 private landlords in this community lease units to families with a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher.
- SHA provides affordable rental housing assistance to over 2,100 families in Sarasota, which is 757 more than in 2004!
- SHA and SHFC have sponsored over $50 million in redevelopment projects in Newtown since 2008, and we have broken ground on Phase III of Janie’s Garden, which will be a $10 million development adding an additional 72 rental units.
- SHA’s Janie’s Garden development won a gold medal for community design by the National Association of Home Builders.
- SHA manages an annual budget of over $16 million with 30 employees.
- SHA was awarded an Energy Star ”Leadership in Affordable Housing Award” by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for promoting energy efficiency in affordable housing.
- SHA was the first housing authority in Florida with a LEED certified building – the Janie’s Garden clubhouse, designed by Carlson Studio Architecture.
- SHA was a finalist for the Sarasota Chamber of Commerce’s non-profit of the year award for 2013.