The Sarasota Housing Authority currently owns and operates 407 units of public housing. These units are reserved for low-income families. Residents who live in our public housing units pay 30% of the monthly adjusted income for rent and utilities. Subsidy from HUD provides the additional funding required to operate the property. 100 units located at McCown Tower are restricted to elderly (62+) and near elderly families (age 55 and older). The remaining 307 units of public housing are for families and seniors and are all located in the Newtown area of Sarasota. In order to be eligible for Public Housing, you must be considered low-income in accordance with HUD's income limits for Sarasota/Bradenton. SHA is in the progress of redeveloping or modernizing its entire public housing stock. To read more about the redevelopment, go to our Redevelopment page.
Do I Qualify?
Our housing programs have income limits, which are set by HUD every year for our area, based on your family size. A family's total annual income must not exceed the low income amount, defined as 80% of the area median income effective December 4, 2012:
|80% Area Median Income:||32.850||37,550||42,250||46,900||50,700||54,450||58,200||61,950|
1300 Blvd of the Arts
Sarasota, FL 34234
Located near beautiful downtown Sarasota, this is the perfect place to call home.
Our two distinct high rises provide one bedroom apartments for low-income and disabled persons. Apartments are fully equipped with newly renovated full kitchens and bathrooms, highly efficient air conditioning, and a private balcony. And the views are spectacular!
Join the community for events on site with family and friends. Come join us for a movie night, a barbecue, or play bingo. Ask our Resident Service Coordinator what events are available off-site such as Theater tickets, Sproting events, or outings to the Fair.
- Main Street shopping and dining
- The Historical Rosemary District
- Selby Library
- St. Armand Cricle and Lido Beach
- Grocery shopping - Publix, Whole Foods
- Van Wezel (performing arts center), Players Theatre, Florida Theater Studio, Apple Dinner Theatre
- Marina Jack
- Handicap accessible units
- Utilities included (Electric and Water)
- Pet Friendly (20 lbs or less)
- Bus access
- Controlled facility access
- Security guard and video surveillance
- Laundry facilities
- Community garden
- Non-Smoking Facility w/ desiggnated smoking areas
- Computer Lab
- 24/7 Emergency On-Call Maintenance
Orange Avenue, The Courts and Bertha Mitchell (OCB)
1912 N Orange Avenue
Sarasota, FL 34234
Located in Historic Newtown Sarasota, OCB consists of three distinct properties:
- Orange Avenue Apartments - Once known as Newtown Homes, these 60 apartments are colored blue, salmon and tan, and are home to OCB's only two-floor apartments.
- The Courts - 100 duplex-style apartments, many with off-street parking at your front door.
- Bertha Mitchell - 100 duplex-style apartments, many with off street parking; new kitchens, new central air conditioning, new energy efficient windows and exterior doors.
- Full-time, on-site resident services staff facilitate getting residents training and education, and completing volunteer community service hour requirements.
- Orange Avenue Grocery, a community convenience store, is on-site.
- Publix super-market less than one mile away, directly on a bus route.
- Bus stops on-site, directly in front of the Housing Authority office.
- Booker High School, Emma E. Booker Elementary, and Sarasota Military Academy all nearby.
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital is less than 3 miles away.
- Orange Avenue Park (picture) is on site.
- Children First Day Care is also on site, just next to the office.
- The Salvation Army and many GoodWill Locations are nearby to help residents in need.
- Nearby Museums: Sarasota Classic Car Museum, Ringling Museum of Art
- Ringling College of Art and Design is a short walk away, (0.5 miles).
- Distance to gulf beaches: 9 miles
- Zip code population: 16,387
- Number of units in this property: 260, sized 1 to 5 bedrooms.
- Average Age: 40.7 years (FL Average 40.5 years)
- Cost of living index: 88.5 (Below U.S. average of 100)
- Percentage of zip code residents living and working in this county: 81.5%
- North Sarasota Public Library is just a short bus trip away (1.3 miles)
You may contact our property offices for questions:
- Orange Avenue Property Office
1912 N Orange Ave
Sarasota, FL 34234
Tel: (941) 361-6210 x250;
- McCown Towers/Annex Property Office (Elderly/Disabled Only)
1300 Blvd. of the Arts
Sarasota, FL 34236
Tel: (941) 361-6210 x225;
If you would like to apply for housing, you may complete an online application at waitlistcheck.com.
You may also print or fax an Application for Public Housing to the Sarasota Housing Authority.