Homebuyer Education Workshop – Saturday, July 25, 2015
Did You Know?
- SHA was recently voted as the Most Outstanding Housing Agency in FL by our 85 in-state peers.
- SHA was once again designated as High Performer by HUD for both Public Housing (97%) and Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) (100%).
- SHA is focused on a two-generational approach to overcoming poverty through our resident programs and we are proud to have an emphasis on early childhood education with an emphasis on the Campaign for Grade Level Reading.
- SHA has recently housed 110 homeless veterans in our community through the VASH Program.
- Our non-profit (SHFC) manages 57 affordable apartments and sponsors innovative programs in partnership with Sarasota Police to foster positive relationships between police and our residents, such as Shop with a Cop and Book ‘Em – Cops & Kids Kids Literacy Event (book giveaway).
- Over 675 private landlords in this community lease units to families with a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher.
- SHA provides affordable rental housing assistance to over 2,100 families in Sarasota, which is 757 more than in 2004!
- SHA and SHFC have sponsored over $50 million in redevelopment projects in Newtown since 2008, and we have broken ground on Phase III of Janie’s Garden, which will be a $10 million development adding an additional 72 rental units.
- SHA’s Janie’s Garden development won a gold medal for community design by the National Association of Home Builders.
- SHA manages an annual budget of over $16 million with 30 employees.
- SHA was awarded an Energy Star ”Leadership in Affordable Housing Award” by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for promoting energy efficiency in affordable housing.
- SHA was the first housing authority in Florida with a LEED certified building – the Janie’s Garden clubhouse, designed by Carlson Studio Architecture.
- SHA was a finalist for the Sarasota Chamber of Commerce’s non-profit of the year award for 2013.