Public Housing Program
The Sarasota Housing Authority currently owns and operates 200 units of public housing. These units are reserved for low-income families. Residents who live in our public housing units pay 30% of the monthly adjusted income for rent and utilities. Subsidy from HUD provides the additional funding required to operate the property. These public housing units are for families all located in the Newtown area of Sarasota. In order to be eligible for Public Housing, you must be considered low-income in accordance with HUD’s income limits for Sarasota/Bradenton.
- Property Manager, Bernadette Crummer, ext. 251
- Leasing Agent, Helen Blanc, ext. 235
- After Hours Maintenance (Emergencies Only) – (941) 915-9735
STATEMENT OF AFFIRMATIVELY FURTHERING FAIR HOUSING
It is the policy of SHA to fully comply with all Federal, State and local nondiscrimination laws; the Americans with Disabilities Act; and the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development regulations governing Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity. SHA shall affirmatively further fair housing in the administration of its public housing program. No person shall, on the grounds of race, color, sex, religion, national or ethnic origin, familial status, or disability be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under SHA’ programs.
SHA will assist any family that believes they have suffered illegal discrimination by providing copies of the appropriate housing discrimination forms. SHA will also assist them in completing the forms if requested, and will provide them with the address of the nearest HUD office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity.
Fair Housing Links
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Provides assistance for those who have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and believe their rights have been violated.
The National Fair Housing Advocate Online
- A resource designed to serve both the fair housing advocacy community and the general public with timely news and information regarding the issues of housing discrimination.