SHA’s Homeownership Program provides qualified Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) families with the opportunity to own a home. The process of purchasing a home through this program is similar to the conventional home buying process, and families can purchase a single family home, town home, condominium or cooperative anywhere within SHA’s jurisdiction.
Families will utilize the voucher assistance to pay a portion of their mortgage for up to 15 years or as long as they qualify – the same way families use a voucher to pay a portion of their rent
In addition to financial assistance toward the mortgage payment, the program provides pre- and post-purchase home buyer education, credit counseling and other services to help families navigate the home-buying process and increase their chances of success. To qualify for this program the family must already have a HCV voucher and must:
- Be a first-time homeowner or have not owned a home within the last three years
- Has a minimum income (equal to 2,000 hours of annual full time work at minimum wage).
- Have been employed continuously on a full-time basis for at least one year
- Complete a pre-assistance homeownership and housing counseling program
- For disabled families, the minimum income is equal to the monthly (SSI) benefit for an individual *Seniors and persons with disabilities may be exempt from the minimum income requirement and may be eligible for an additional term of mortgage assistance.
SHA participants who would like to learn more about this program should speak to their case manager at 361-6210.