Pathways to a Better Life
The Sarasota Housing Authority has developed a pilot program, Pathways to a Better Life (PBL) that partners with families for the express purpose of breaking the intergenerational cycle of poverty and bringing about self-sufficiency. We believe families who are willing to work hard should have the opportunity to achieve a better life through being provided the benefit of public housing while they participate in this program.
PBL is intended to incentivize low-income families in need of housing to voluntarily sign a lease addendum that requires them to comply with the agreed upon requirements of full time work and/or school to put themselves and their children on a direct pathway to a better life. A two-generation approach will be utilized incorporating:
- a major focus on early childhood education as well as education opportunities for parents;
- economic supports with subsidized housing as well as savings accounts funded through monies the family would otherwise pay in rent as their income increases;
- health screenings and services coordinated by the new Babies and Children’s Medical Center Clinic in the Glasser-Schoenbaum Center, just two blocks from our family development;
- building on and enhancing social capital through enhanced parent networks already started in partnership with the United Way.
Our program is built on four pillars:
- Belief in the ability of our residents
- The value of high expectations, for parents and children
- A two-generation strategy and approach to break the intergenerational cycle of poverty
- Taking ownership of and accountability for choices