Public Housing Program
The Sarasota Housing Authority currently owns and operates 100 units of public housing in our Bertha Mitchell community. All of our other, former public housing properties have been redeveloped and/or converted to Section 8 assistance. These 100 units at Bertha Mitchell are reserved for low-income families. Residents who live in our public housing units pay 30% of the monthly adjusted income for rent and utilities. Subsidy from HUD provides the additional funding required to operate the property. In order to be eligible for public housing, you must be considered low-income in accordance with HUD’s income limits for Sarasota/Bradenton. The Bertha Mitchell property is expected to convert to Section 8 tenant-based assistance at some point in 2024, and will remain an assisted, affordable community owned and managed by SHA.
It is the policy of SHA to fully comply with all Federal, State and local nondiscrimination laws; the Americans with Disabilities Act; and the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development regulations governing Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity. SHA shall affirmatively further fair housing in the administration of its public housing program. No person shall, on the grounds of race, color, sex, religion, national or ethnic origin, familial status, or disability be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under SHA’ programs.
SHA will assist any family that believes they have suffered illegal discrimination by providing copies of the appropriate housing discrimination forms. SHA will also assist them in completing the forms if requested, and will provide them with the address of the nearest HUD office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity.
Fair Housing Links
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Website
- Provides assistance for those who have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and believe their rights have been violated.
- The National Fair Housing Advocate Online Website
- A resource designed to serve both the fair housing advocacy community and the general public with timely news and information regarding the issues of housing discrimination.
TenantsInformation regarding the Notice of Occupancy Rights under the Violence Against Women Act For help downloading, please call 941-361-6210 x221
Located in Historic Newtown Sarasota, Bertha Mitchell consists of 100 duplex-style apartments, many with off street parking; new kitchens, new central air conditioning, new energy efficient windows and exterior doors.1912 N Orange Avenue
Sarasota, FL 34234
- Full-time, on-site resident services staff facilitate getting residents training and education, and completing volunteer community service hour requirements.
- Orange Avenue Grocery, a community convenience store, is on-site.
- Publix super-market less than one mile away, directly on a bus route.
- Bus stops on-site, directly in front of the Housing Authority office.
- Serviced by SCAT Routes 7 and 8 (Click for Schedules and Maps)
- Booker High School, Emma E. Booker Elementary, and Sarasota Military Academy all nearby
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital is less than 3 miles away
- Orange Avenue Park is on site.
- Children First Day Care is also on site, just next to the office.
- The Salvation Army and many GoodWill Locations are nearby to help residents in need.
- Nearby Museums: Classic Car Museum, Ringling Museum of Art
- Ringling College of Art and Design is a short walk away, (0.5 miles).
- Distance to gulf beaches: 9 miles
- Zip code population: 16,387
- Number of units in this property: 164, sized 1 to 5 bedrooms.
- Average Age: 40.7 years (FL Average 40.5 years)
- Cost of living index: 88.5 (Below U.S. average of 100)
- Percentage of zip code residents living and working in this county: 81.5%
- North Sarasota Public Library is just a short bus trip away (1.3 miles)